Banner Image
Increase Text SizeDecrease Text Size

Electrical Safety At Home

“10 Shocking Facts About Electrical Safety” ESA YouTube link for General Electrical Safety at Home: 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7R9AF0Wpw

“Electrical Safety Hazards at Home” ESA YouTube link: 
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQHfb83Kao

Appliances

  • Before buying an electrical appliance, make sure it has a CSA (Canadian Safety Association) certification mark. The CSA seal ensures electrical safety when the appliance is used properly. 
  • Follow owner's manual instructions 
  • Read accompanying literature before using a new appliance. Keep instructions handy to follow for operation and care. 
  • Disconnect appliances before cleaning 
  • Never touch plugged-in appliances when your hands are wet and ensure they are unplugged before cleaning. 
  • Have defective appliances checked 
  • If appliances spark, overheat or stall, pull the plug and have them checked by a dealer or qualified appliance service person. 
  • To avoid getting a shock, always unplug the toaster before removing jammed toast with a fork or knife. 
  • Electricity and water don't mix - Radios, hairdryers or any electrical appliances are hazards near water. Even if your hands are wet or you're standing on a wet floor you could get an electrical shock.

Extension Cords

  • Pull the plug. Pulling by the cord will wear it out quickly and create a shock hazard.
  • Keep cords away from heat and water. Heat or water can damage the insulation that protects you and create a shock hazard.
  • Cords under carpets are a fire hazard. Do not run electrical cords under rugs, through doorways or anywhere they will get excessive wear.
  • Never break off the third prong on a plug.
  • Replace any two-prong outlets with a three-prong outlet and ensure it is properly grounded. It provides a ground path and helps to minimize shocks.
  • Inspect cord and plugs. Worn, they can cause fire, short circuits or shocks. Check electrical cords and plugs and discard them if they are worn or damaged.
  • Eliminate octopus connections. Plugging a number of cords into one outlet is a fire hazard. It usually indicates that your home wiring is outdated for your needs and that you should have more outlets wired in by a qualified electrical contractor.
  • Do not use extension cords as permanent wiring. An extension cord is a handy device to temporarily bring power to an area in your home that does not have an outlet. It was never designed to take the place of permanent wiring and is an indication that your home wiring is not adequate and should be updated by a qualified electrical contractor.

For more information, visit the Electrical Safety Authority's website.

Familiarize yourself with the potential electrical hazards in your home through this video: 
www.esasafe.com/about-esa/campaigns-and-materials/video-gallery#esh
**** Excellent Video For Home Safety Tips****