Background and History
The Riverview Park and Zoo began in 1933 with the donation of a pair of alligators to Ross Dobbin, then General Manager of the Peterborough Utilities Commission. As more birds and animals were acquired, the zoo grew in size and popularity with area residents visiting the zoo for picnics and general enjoyment.
In 1968, the PUC assumed full responsibility for the financing and operation of the facility. The park and zoo continues to expand, taking on more varied and ambitious projects.
Statement of Purpose
The Peterborough Utilities Commission, through the Riverview Park and Zoo, strives to provide the citizens of Peterborough with an outstanding recreational and educational facility located in a park setting.
The Riverview Park and Zoo will endeavour to create an environment suitable for conservation and preservation of wildlife and parkland.
- To appeal to all age groups within the City of Peterborough.
- To give access for persons with disabilities whenever feasible.
- To provide natural environments and habitats for the enjoyment and education of the public; and to promote conservation awareness and action.
- To maintain sound environmental and river quality protection practices.
- To maintain a balance between park facilities and zoo facilities.
- To visually and physically connect all parts of the property.
- To ensure harmonization with water treatment operations.
- To capitalize on the high quality view.
- To maintain and create passive use of undeveloped areas.
- To follow sound and professional zoological practices.
The Riverview Park and Zoo Advisory Committee makes recommendations to the Commission on matters concerning the Park and Zoo. The committee consists of one member of the Commission, four City of Peterborough qualified electors, one honorary life-time member, the PUC President, and the Park and Zoo Manager and Curator.
Current members of the Advisory Committee are:
- Mr. W. Davidson
- Mr. D. Haacke
- Ms. H. Kenny
- Mr. A. Jackson
- Mr. L. Reynolds
- Mr. B. Lett
For a list of PUC Commissioners, please refer to Corporate Structure.